Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One Hand on the Escape Latch

I hit a wall today at work. I just felt like I couldn’t care any more or work any harder. Which might have something to do with the long hours and weeks I’ve put in lately. Or the levels of stress at the office, where it feels like any small shift will cause the duct tape to unravel and things will start falling apart.

The good thing is that these moments tend to hit when I have one hand on the escape latch. I’m leaving on a weeklong Italian holiday Saturday with my mom and sister – two of my favorite people in the world in one of my favorite countries.

I know that most of the things that are weighing on me now will be waiting for me when I get back, but there is something to be said for coming back to the battle rested and with a fresh perspective.

My dad always says that when you feel like I did today, it’s best to just go to sleep and everything will look better in the morning. I wonder if it would be OK to nap at work?

3 comments:

  1. So envious! Have a wonderful trip. Hope we get to read some stories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pulled my escape latch yesterday at about 6:00. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, but I sure wish it was taking me somewhere as exciting as an Italian holiday. I guess a hotel in Mississippi will have to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The week at work before a vacation is always unbearable. I have to be careful as I get older to not avoid vacations for this fact alone.

    ReplyDelete