Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Gleam of a Penny

When I look back on the last several months, I feel like – well, to be honest, I feel like I can’t remember much about them outside of my trip to Italy with my mom and sister.

It may be just that I’m getting older, but my memory isn’t THAT bad – yet. Or maybe it’s the London fog. But I have a feeling that it has more to do with the fact that I’ve just been too busy. Too busy to see God, to wait for his still small voice.

I feel it most keenly when I’m at church, where lately I find myself fidgeting and very aware of my inability to be still.

But I’ve been as aware of how God has met me, even in those times – especially in those times.

In her book “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek,” Annie Dillard wrote: “The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand.”

While I feel like I’ve had a bit of tunnel vision these last few months, even in my limited view, I have seen the gleam of a penny or two. More than that. God has been reminding me lately of his abundant love and of all the pennies stored up for me. So many, in fact, that even when I’m not looking, I stumble upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment