Saturday, April 10, 2010

A New Season

Spring finally arrived in London this week.

There were signs before now that it was coming. But then the grey and rain would come again and you’d forget that the sky could be blue or the feeling of the sun against your skin.

The last few days have been glorious. Blue skies. Sun. Flowers everywhere. Trees blossoming. I’ve spent them in the parks and on the streets. It’s amazing how people seem to come out of the woodwork on the first warm day. The sidewalks are packed. The parks have no green patch left under the mass of people.

I am thankful for a new season. For the reminder that things don’t always stay the same. That things we once thought dead – hopes, dreams, relationships – can be brought back to life, resurrected. Even from the greyest of winter. I needed that reminder. Work has been hard. Life has felt a little lonely. I have found myself wondering, as I often do, what I’m doing with my life.

The sun has done me good. I feel like I am coming to life with the nature around me.

And I decided tonight that this new season needs a new soundtrack. I have been stuck in a rut for a while – listening to old stuff, mostly The Smiths. But today I downloaded some new music to mark at least these next few months.

I’m already in love with Local Native. And somehow I think I’ll be as obsessed with Frightened Rabbit’s “The Winter of Mixed Drinks” as I was their last album. It will be nice to have good company on my tube rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment